Shop by Price
Shop by Price
- Capacitance Fuel Probes
Capacitance Fuel Probes
A New Capacitance Probe from Belite Electronics
Probes for fuel tanks have often used the principle of “capacitance” to determine the level of fuel within the tank. These probes have many limitations.
Our new probe resolves these issues and offers substantial benefits.Our patented fuel probe and monitoring system is ideal for ultralight and other experimental aircraft, as well as other industrial applications.
- Dependable probe can be shaped to any tank without internal shorting.
- Multiple bends are OK.User calibration to empty and full via pushbutton.
- Easily installed in any tank through 0.44" hole. Nut & gasket are included.
- Available in any length from 12” to 60”.
- Optional 36" cable: $40
- Optional 5 hole mounting adapter plate: $20
How does it work? What are its features?
1) The design uses a very stable temperature compensated capacitive oscillator in conjunction with a tuned inductive filter. As fuel surrounds the wire probe, the capacitance changes. The circuit is capable of resolving very small changes in fuel height and converts this to an output voltage, which is linear to the fuel level. The more fuel, the higher the voltage.
2) The circuit is compatible with any type of gasoline, alcohol, or jet fuel. Kerosene is just fine.
3) The unit provides a linear +5 volt output, compatible with almost all modern fuel display gauges and EFIS displays. We specifically recommend our new RADIANT fuel gauge, as shown here.
We recommend this fuel gauge for these reasons: it has a great 2 minute sloshing filter built in; it shows 15 minutes of fuel trend history, and it is a full color, sunlight readable display.
4) The controller board has one switch. For calibration: after powering up, press it quickly to set the “low” fuel point. After filling with gas, press it longer (a few seconds) to set the “high” fuel point.
5) A remote switch may be mounted in the cockpit. Pressing it will reset the “high” calibration point. To avoid accidental high point resets, this requires a five second touch on the switch.
6) For hard core techies: the unit’s connector also provides a +5v regulated output. This allows a differential analysis of the signal level, as the output DAC is technically ratiometric to the +5V supply.
7) For hard core OEMS: this product is also available with digital RS-232 serial output, periodically broadcasting the fuel level at 9600 baud.